None. Educators can waive out of Level 1 - waiver can be downloaded here
This session begins with an overview of the restaurant and foodservice industry, and includes valuable information about kitchen and management essentials. Explore communication and skills and gain an in-depth knowledge of culinary basics from mise en place
through cooking methods.
- Introduction to the industry
- Food safety
- Workplace safety
- Kitchen essentials 1: Professionalism, standardized recipes
- Kitchen essentials 2: Equipment, mise en place, cooking methods
- Stocks, sauces, and soups
- Management essentials: teamwork, leadership, hiring, orientation, training
- Teaching pedagogy
- Please note that you will receive a knife kit at the Level 1 sessions. You should plan to check a bag, or ship this home, as the knives will not be allowed as carry-on luggage.
Registration for the Summer Institutes will open mid-March 2019.
Registration for the Summer Institutes is $675 and includes:
- Five days of instruction
- Classroom and lab supplies
- Knife Kit (starter kit for Level I only)
- Instructional materials
- Opening reception
- Tour of an industry site
- Breakfast, lunch, and breaks each day
Transportation, hotel, and additional meals are not covered by the Registration fee.